Saturday, January 3, 2009

New year, new hopes, new deadlines!

As the mercury plummeted even LOWER today, my brave new goal of running outside regardless of the temperature went straight out the window. I mean, come on, this is getting RIDICULOUS. It was 23 degrees below 0 this morning, and it's only gotten up to a whopping 15 below right now.

So, I'm digressing, but that' s because I'm all sweaty from running on the treadmill in a house that feels like a Brazilian rain forest (68 degrees) compared to what's outside (15 below, although admittedly very wintry and beautiful). I must not be thinking clearly.

The point of my rambling is to say welcome to my new blog, one of the millions of pointless ramblings that people are posting everywhere, but one that I hope will become like a loved child -- cared for, nurtured and shared with other writers/athletes/etc. (see my bio for details).

I do, however, have a goal in mind this year, and I think this one I can stick with because it has NOTHING to do with the temperature. And hopefully, this blog's point will indeed make it worthwhile.

I have many passions -- my family, the environment, the fact that the Republicans didn't worm their way into office, good food, good wine, etc. And likely you'll get to hear about all of them from time to time.

But this blog is focused on two of my particular passions, that of writing and fitness/outdoors. Of all the things that matter to me, I have found that these two particular obsessions are best fueled by the encouragement of others. At no other time have I been more amped up by my road cycling than after beginning to work with a coach. Having that daily encouragement and direction really propels me to do my best -- whether he has me doing puke-prompting intervals or easy 5-K runs.

The same is true with writing. I don't know about all of you other writers out there, but I find ideas swirling through my head all the time and inspiration comes at the oddest moments. Some of the those moments I have the sense to stop what I'm doing to write them down, in case they lead to something. But at other times, I just let it slide and perhaps miss an opportunity.

So, if anything, this blog will force me -- and hopefully anyone else out there who wants to share -- to get more of those thoughts down. Isn't that what all the experts say? To be a writer, you have to write, write, write. So even if what I'm plopping down here on the page is a bunch of BS, at least that part of my brain is going to be engaged this year.

Who knows where it will lead? Wanna come along?

5 comments:

  1. Let me try this thing again. I can relate; passions are good to have in one's life. Whether they are activities, friends, foods, special people, we all need to be passionate about some things or else life would be extremely boring. Well, as long as it is interesting and feel like I'm gaining something from your blog, I guess I'll keep coming back?? Don't do too many blogs, only those that seem more authentic and safe, you know? I like to do things rather than say too much so I hope my writing will improve the more I write :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did one here too but didn't post?? I think I did everything right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning this thing, don't know what i'm doing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy!

    Yes, I did get your responses! I'm new to this thing, too, so I'm glad to have finally tracked down where you wrote. My plan is to write two to three times a week, and share ideas and thoughts and, especially, hear from otherswho have thoughts on the same topics. We are not alone, right? I'm so glad you checked in. I'll keep fiddling with this new Blog World until we get it all figured out. Keep reading for more!

    ReplyDelete