Monday, January 19, 2009

Finding focus

My mind is wandering today. There's something about Mondays that seems to prompt this sort of behavior in my head. On Sundays, I go to bed with my to-do list long and ambitious. I've had the whole weekend to look around the house at everything that needs to be done and know that THIS is the week it will happen. From writing to working out to home-improvement projects to, well, whatever, THIS week I will do it.

And here it is, 1 p.m., and my list is still sitting in front of me.

So I'm wondering what other people do to find focus? I'm not one of those militant types, strict about schedules and good about following rules (this habit did not serve me well as a younger person, by the way). But I do have a need to be busy, and if I don't have a to-do list looming, I feel like I'm wasting time.

What is the balance between the two? How does one stay on task but not SO on task that they miss the fun in life, the spontaneity that comes with tossing the list aside and reading a book all day or turning the one-hour dog run into an all-day adventure? How do we feel accomplished yet not overworked? I don't know if I'm ever going to find that balance -- maybe it's a character flaw that has me always chastising myself to do more.

The thing is, I throw the to-do list away all the time, opting for the all-day mushing or reading or playing with the kids. But I don't lose the guilt that comes at the end of the week, knowing the things on my list did not get accomplished, either. And that's what bugs me.

In writing, as in training for any sport, it does take some bit of militant attitude to keep going, and I remind myself of this when my mind or body starts to wander. You know the wornout cliche, "No pain, no gain?" It applies to both writing and training for a sport.

Today, for instance, I want to run outside instead of doing the bike trainer ride my coach prescribed. I want to read a book I'm into instead of finishing the freelance stories whose deadlines are looming. I want to call my sister and talk for an hour instead of finishing the painting on a home project we've got going.

But I have to stay focused, remember my to-do list, and peck away at it bit by bit. I have to find that balance but keep that focus. And, more important, I have to be at peace with it all rather than have this inner struggle about what I "should" be doing.

So that inner struggle is what prompted today's post: How do we get that balance? How do we stay focused yet still have fun? I wish someone out there had the perfect answer to this conundrum. Because my head aches thinking about it all the time and it would be so nice to check off "Mellow Out" on my to-do list!

3 comments:

  1. I'm the wrong person to be giving advise on this topic. Doing tasks and having one's life in perfect order seems to be what everybody wants to do but few do the spontaneous, fun things that make our lives truly meaningful. I don't know...I guess life is to be had in my opinion and I wouldn't ignore meaningful opportunities for the sake of focus. But then again, I have a job and bills to pay, even though I would much rather be biking at 1pm than working. Makes me feel good to have that freedom to choose in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! At least I'm not alone, then. I think what I need to get over is the guilt about not doing it all and just live in the moment. When I have days like that, it's so refreshing. Bills suck, though. They remind us that it's not all about fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding balance can be a tricky thing, especially the right balance. I go through similar thought processes when there's so much to do with my three children (12, 9, and 6), the house, my fulltime work, interests, husband, and friendships. I think to do lists are good to help us find focus if that's what we need, but leave some room for unplanned, spontaneous, genuine life experiences that may not include our families. I think this is necessary to survive both physically and emotionally in this busy world of raising kiddos and working fulltime. As far as achieving that focus in sports, I love soccer and play in a coed league but I'm not trying to win the city championships, you know? I'm competitive, train, and give it all I"ve got BUT no militant approach here. I don't think I strive to be the best athlete at every sport I play but respect those who are disciplined. Holy cow! I had a lot more to say about this than realized...sorry :-)

    ReplyDelete