Monday, February 9, 2009

Staring at the screen

First of all, apologies for my recent absence -- off to Virginia to surprise my folks for their 50th wedding anniversary, which was lots of fun and very meaningful. Now I'm back here in Alaska, back to real life, and back to babbling on about the writer's life in the dead of a cold-Alaska winter.

Where to begin?...

Sometimes I think being a writer is the best possible career on the planet. I mean, where else can you combine thoughts, snippets of conversations, theories and other day-to-day nonsense that happens and somehow mold it into something someone might want to read? (And even get paid for it?)

Other times, writing seems a curse, something that is always lurking there in the back of your mind, never letting you rest, reminding you how inadequate your thoughts are, how stupid your ideas. There is the stress of what you SHOULD write, versus the reality of what often ends up on the page.

I can't tell you how many times I have started a story and gotten so frustrated by it that I just start pounding the keys in an incoherent "computer keyboard temper tantrum" --- fhksjth4o6u35y rlkdmflyu yo;lg -- something like that, often with choice "fuck-damn-shit"expletives thrown in for good measure.

I look at this behavior and realize it is the equivalent of someone yanking their piece of paper from the old typewriter, wadding it up into a ball and chucking it into the nearest trash can. I imagine this Hemingway-esque scene when I'm having my own pity party. But without the drama of such antiquated equipment, I abuse the keyboard instead. (I've vowed not to do this as much with my new computer but already have had a few mishaps...)

On days like those, I am at least thankful that anything went on the page at all. The worst scenario is when I stare at the computer screen, and my mind is a big, tired blank -- as open and cavernous as the white, wordless document I've created. There is nothing more strangling than knowing deadline is looming and the words are simply not there. Sure, the story is half written in my head already, the transitions smoothly documented in my mind's eye.

But it's not a story until the words are on paper. And some days, that just doesn't happen.

It is on days like those that I wonder what the hell I am doing with my life. The jumble of ideas and emotions in my brain, are they REALLY meant to be put on paper? Or are they better left off stuck there, swilling around like old beer to torment me intead of the general public?

At times like these, I want to insert myself into the being of an accountant, perhaps, a doctor or engineer or someone whose technical abilities dictate the success of their career, not the random blather that seems to seep out from between my ears. I want to know, "Are they constantly feeling the itch to scribble down thoughts and feelings or is this just some aberration on my part?"

Despite the turmoil surrounding this writer's life, I have to admit I can think of no better fit. I could never, in a million years, handle the 8-to-5 existence that the majority of the population is forced to endure. For me, it would be a slow, arduous descent toward death -- the afterlife, or whatever happens to us once our hearts stop beating. Given the choice, I'll take the torment of writing over that any day.

So it is that my writing Monday has begun. The fingers are moving, the page is filling up. Whether I've written anything worth reading? I don't know. But at least it's right here on the screen, not all screwed up in my head. And that in itself is a serenity worth pursuing.

4 comments: